Just a quick update on my all-in-one interface card: I sent off another board to be fabricated to test some of the functionality that I’d like to provide in the final interface. With any luck, I should be getting some PCBs back in a few weeks to build up and work out any other glaring mistakes that I made.
Designing PCBs and making your own libraries to populate the boards with has been quite a good learning experience. I’ve made plenty of small mistakes which have helped me to better learn the process. For example, I’ve learned the benefit of adding plated thru-holes as test points and/or bodge wire connection points – something that my current prototype board will now provide.
Next plan will be to source more SMD components for a final build – this will necessitate some additional design learning to optimize placement for eventual assembly by hand.